Angles-sur-l’Anglin takes its name from the cliffs and abrupt rocks around where the castle and village lie, separated by the winding river. The stronghold of a former barony, the village of Angles-sur-l’Anglin is rich with heritage sites which allowed it to be listed as one of France’s most beautiful villages. Constructions spread from one end of Anglin to the other - the upper and lower village and Saintes Croix neighbourhood have buildings dating back to the Middle Ages.
The castle, perched on a rocky outcrop, has one of the most beautiful viewpoints in the area. The rocky spur of Angles-sur-l’Anglin was fortified in the Middles Ages. This group of buildings, listed a historical monument in 1926, is now open to the public and a tour and exhibition bring history back to life. Medieval activities and entertainment are proposed.
In 1950, the world rediscovered the frieze sculpted by our distant ancestors at the end of the palaeolithic age: the Magdalenians. To preserve this original site at the foot of the Dousse cliffs, the Roc-aux-Sorciers interpretation centre was created with exhibitions, 3D projects and tactile replicas presenting the exceptional bestiary featuring 30 animals, not to mention several rare human figures.
Jours d’Angles, a local example of cross-stitch, was developed over more than a century. Sewing rooms grouped scores of maids who worked for the major Parisian department stores, shipping companies and customers in the region. Shirts, underwear, table linen and other items were decorated. The association located in the Maison des Jours d’Angles does its utmost to perpetuate this cultural heritage.