See photos (4)
La Manufacture d'armes
Historic site and monument in Châtellerault
Warning: Unsecured hours
In 1819, after different factories on France’s borders were closed down, and partially due to its time-honoured cutlers, Châtellerault was designated by royal order to manufacture weapons. The “Manu” became the town’s principal source of employment, and for the next 150 years was the scene of bustling night-shifts and day-shifts for more than 8,000 factory workers.